The learn to swim program has many layers:
• All levels are skill and technique based
• All classes are conducted by national accredited swimming teachers
• Mainstream classes are 30 minute sessions.(Starfish – Dolphin)
• The main objectives of each level are outlined at the aquatic centre
• Frequency and regularity of attendance for any child to progress through the program is essential as this has a major impact on the rate of development
• Assessments and promotions
Starfish- Absolute beginners
• Teachers will use a range of progressive activities supplemented with the use of a variety of equipment. The use of different floatation aids is important, however dependence on them should be reduced and eliminated as soon as possible as this will increase students understanding and recognition that the water will support them with or without aids.
• Consolidate gliding skills before adding propulsion on the front and back. Combine streamline glide with an alternate kick.
• Introduction to four arms freestyle.
• Freestyle - At this level the emphasis is to introduce four arms whilst maintain fast continuous flutter kicks and improve distance per stroke.
• Freestyle unilateral breathing - This is taught on the preferred side with the natural rotation of the shoulder to breathe.
• Backstroke - Maintain a six beat kick per arm cycle.
• Dives - Sit.
• Freestyle high elbow recovery over the surface of the waters is the main focus.
• Backstroke - The focus is on body position / rotation and a smooth arm changeover whilst maintaining a high body position.
• Dives - Squa.
• Being balanced and on a horizontal plane
• Various drills to improve body rotation whilst further developing freestyle and backstroke.
• Introduction to breaststroke
• Dives - Kneel.
• Towards advance stages of freestyle/backstroke/breaststroke to improve technique over distance and fatigue with increasing distances.
• Introduction to streamline push glide and fast flutter kicks beneath the surface of the water in readiness to introduce freestyle race starts.
• Introduction to various drills in readiness to learn butterfly
• Continuation of advance stages freestyle/backstroke/breaststroke.
• Revision and repeat various drills to develop butterfly.
It is at this stage of development where the children are coached in swimming and begin to learn skills associated with swimming as a sport. Children at this level are encouraged to become team members of Barker Aquatic Swim Club and enjoy the pathway through swimming competitively.
• Introduction to basic competition skills in dives/starts/turns and finishes.
• Learning to read the pace clock.
• Follow written swim set instructions and learn basic training protocols when swimming in lanes.
• To apply learning the strokes and skills to a club night competition environment.
What to Bring
Goggles and beginners - Until advised by your child’s instructor goggles are not required at this level. It is a safety aspect when learning to swim that the beginner learns to open their eyes in and under the surface of the water. Most beginners hate to put their eyes and face in the water bur with gradual instruction and encouragement they will achieve the desired results.
Swimwear-Girls full piece costume/Towel/ Group level swim cap/Goggles.
Swimwear-Boy speedo costumes/ Boy leg/ Thigh leg/Towel/Group level cap/Goggles.
Rash Vest - For beginner level only. Not recommended for children who are learning the strokes it is restricts their movements.